Mobile Marketing Channels That Promote Engagement
Opt-In Mobile Messaging & Notifications
With a consumer’s permission, brands and retailers can engage by:
- Announcing Promotions: Let shoppers know about an upcoming sale or new merchandise.
- Sending Alerts: Send location-based reminders and offers when they’re near your retail location.
- Confirming Orders: Keep customers abreast of deliveries by confirming the transaction.
- Sending Updates: Share important group updates about cancellations, closures, and upcoming activities.
- Offering Rewards: Maintain a loyal customer base by keeping members informed of their reward status and benefits.
- Text messages have over a 90% open-rate, compared to just 20% for email communications.
- Response rates to text marketing are 7.5x higher than email.
- Branded vanity links sent via text get 39% more clicks than generic short links.
- Seventy-five percent of shoppers say they don’t mind receiving texts from brands they like.
- More than 50% of customers prefer contacting support through text messaging.
By 2020, 45 million customers had opted into mobile text communications. It’s no surprise, considering Americans look at their phones an average of 80 times per day. Mobile marketing is the ideal way to reach prospects these days, as the messages get through, they’re read quickly, and they inspire action. Incentivizing consumers to opt-in to mobile messaging is an easy way to build your communications list.
Email is like a comfortable and familiar old friend. Consumers are used to receiving email communications and generally find email to be a helpful and non-intrusive way to keep in touch with their favorite brands. Global internet users overwhelmingly prefer to receive brand communications via email communication (62.9%) compared to a mobile app (43%), social media (25.2%), and direct mail (18.1%).
According to research, shoppers use email messages to:
- Obtain discount offers, coupon codes, and rewards.
- Discover new products of interest based on past history.
- Remember to purchase from a preferred brand.
- Read product reviews and reviews from publications.
- Find similar products and share them with friends/family.
Interactive elements invite subscribers to actively engage with your marketing emails in some way. Audiences are surprised and delighted by these opportunities to engage. Examples include:
- surveys and polls
- rollover effects
- product carousels
- incentivized games
- video product demos
Rather than passively scanning email text, shoppers are clicking and engaging.
Storytelling with user-generated content is a hot trend on social media, but can easily be incorporated into the email channel as well, since people look to email as a source for reviews.
- Share fan images and videos.
- Create reviews-driven ads.
- Leverage polls to collect data.
- Add thumbs up/down buttons.
- Share the most popular items.
User-generated content engages fellow shoppers using authentic and trustworthy supporting voices.
Simply personalizing the subject line can increase email-generated revenue by 760% compared to one-size-fits-all. Creating targeted lists upon signup lets you connect with audiences in a more relevant way. You can segment based on:
- age, gender, location, profession
- type of benefit sought
- occasion for shopping
- brand loyalty status
- buyer readiness stage
Personalization in marketing grabs consumer attention and can lead to loyalty.
Retargeting campaigns help you get the most from your paid ad spending. Unlike pop-up banner ads, native advertising tends to blend into the surrounding environment, like at the bottom of news articles as paid/sponsored ads, in a social media feed, or at the top of Google search results.
- increase awareness, maintaining visibility after the first visit.
- send reminders, showing the exact product browsed again.
- re-engage, appealing to those who haven’t recently shopped.
- reduce abandonment, reminding shoppers of items left in their cart.
- be relevant, campaigning based on geography or product.
You may not be able to win them all, but retargeting can attract up to 98% of visitors who have left your site without making a purchase back to your brand again and boost overall conversions up to 150%.
Shopkick is an effective mobile marketing channel that allows brands and retailers to communicate with consumers along the path to purchase. Our partners use Shopkick to offer consumers rewards for engagement that leads to measurable ROI. Contact us to learn more about incorporating Shopkick into your mobile marketing efforts.